Friday, December 22, 2006

Art at the Waikoloa

The Hilton Waikoloa has an art collection worth over $7 million along a mile-long museum walkway. There are a number of full-time curators to make sure the art is conserved amid the hotel guest traffic and the open sea air. Also, in the October 2006 earthquake, the hotel was fortunate enough to only sustain cosmetic damage. I thought the art was really cool, and with all the large-scale sculptures at the resort it was hard to tell which were art pieces and which were decoration. I grouped these pictures according to similar topic.

Cosmetic damage from earthquake


Buddhas

A Thai buddha near the Main Lobby, a smiling Buddha (Tickle Me Buddha!) by the chapel, and the buddha at Buddha point at the edge of the golf course.


Scary figures



Japanese Temple guards


This one is scary AND an animal, so I'll segue into...


Animals

A turtle and whale (like Fudgie the Whale!) at the kiddie pool.


Poke-dog and his ball by DolphinQuest and a panther by the Ocean Tower.


There was a pair of elephants along the museum walkway. I only ever recall seeing this view.


This fish wants a treat! Really its Hilton Waikoloa's version of a trashcan. They're all over the place.


Bodyjammers


Assorted Beauties
Lovely ladies by the Lagoon Pool.


The lobby of the Palace Tower.


I love the colors in this canvas.


Chinese Zodiac figures

See my other post: Chinese Zodiac statues

No comments: