Thursday, December 28, 2006

Next Stop: the Dole Plantation and the North Shore

Next stop is the Dole Plantation. We take the Pineapple Express for a 20-minute narrated tour around the plantation. We learn that the red volcanic soil is good for growing pineapple (which is not native to Hawaii) because of the high iron content. We also learn (thankfully not by experience) that it is Not good for white clothing. In the gift shop I find a sale on Hawaiian quilts, and I pick up a few pillowcases for gifts.



Pineapple fields are kept planted year round to ensure supply.


Shawn and me being hams in pineapple attire.


After Dole, we head for the North Shore but traffic is at a standstill so we decide to turn around and check into the hotel. I find out later that because the surf was projected to be 40 feet(!) lots of people headed to the shore to view the waves. The waves are larger in December. Due to wind, they also said that the waves were bad for surfing and viewing so I guess this wasn't a loss.

No comments: